October 8, 2010

More Gourmet Indian Cooking

Veggie Curry was great. The addition of the (basically) fried cheese really added value to the meal. I cut the Paneer into cubes, floured, egged and bread-crumbed the results, and fried them in a small amount of ghee. then drained it well. Delicious.

Enough for three nights, served with lettuce or rice or...

Last night I experimented with Macchi Lahsuni, salmon with garlic crumb, page 44. This was really good - crumbs so delicious I was tempted to eat them with a spoon out of the bag. Didn't...

Tonight I found the recipe on page 65. Kozhi Chettinad Dosa ( spicy fried chicken-stuffed crepes). First of all, it is not fried chicken, so don't freak out. The recipe calls for 10 ounces of cooked chicken, shredded. A perfect opportunity for a Whole Foods Roasted chicken.  Toss with onions and some aromatic and zippy spices (anise, cumin, chili powder, garam masala) and heat through. The Rice Pancakes, or Crepes were a little tricky, and I could have done without, since I am, after all, on a weight losing, health building plan. But, they were fun to make. And beautiful, lacy things, like praline lace cookies, wrapped around spicy chicken. Served with a salad.

I love this cookbook (Gourmet Indian in Minutes by Monisha Bharadwaj). It is simple, but not as simple as Monisha thinks. Perhaps after some more practice, I can keep to her "15 minutes to prep, 10 minutes to cook," but I am realizing that I have grown lazy since the Chopra Center days about my Indian spices and skills. I loved this recipe because it did not have any turmeric (why does everything in Westernized Indian cooking have turmeric in it?) and because the chicken came already cooked!

Next two nights we are eating with friends, so more next week about my Indian cooking experiment.
(love my meal replacement drinks, BTW. Great B vitamins.)

thanks for listening. GB


Visit Ginna's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment